Pachmarhi - A legacy of British architecture that lives on
Pachmarhi, a hill station in Madhya Pradesh is also known as Queen of Satpura. Besides its beautiful waterfalls and rich biodiversity, this place also catches the fancy of the tourists for its bungalows, buildings and especially Churches from the colonial period. Pachmarhi is quite a treasure trove in itself which was discovered by a British Officer James forsyth and with the British, also came new forms of architecture in Madhya Pradesh.
The influence of British architecture in Pachmarhi can be seen in one of the beautiful churches that is Christ Church. This certainly adds charm to the beauty of this hill station in Madhya Pradesh. It is evident from the point that Pachmarhi has emerged as an Idyllic summer retreat and became the summer capital of the central province from 1947- 1967. It has managed to retain its British flavour as very little has changed here since then. No surprise that this beautiful region has been attracting visitors from India and abroad, year on year.
A church that maintains the old world charm
The Protestant Church of Christ, also known as the Christ Church is a true-blue colonial architecture of the British era. Built around 1875 by the British, this church’s architecture is fascinating. Built on the Gothic lines, this church is a red sandstone structure, with the sanctum- sanctorum surmounted by a hemispherical, ribbed dome.
Twelve stained glass panes adorning the walls and alter the present exquisite depictions of Christ’s last journey and were imported from Europe. The glass presents a magnificent view when the sun rays fall on it. The nave of the church has been constructed without a single pillar for additional support. Located on a gentle mount that is speckled with large trees, the surroundings give this edifice a noticeably peaceful character.
Situated at 1100 m, Pachmarhi, popularly known as 'Satpura ki Rani' (Queen of Satpura), sits beautifully, embellished by nature and history, amidst the Satpura range. Legend says the Pandava brothers visited Pachmarhi during their exile.