Poha - A snack that is easy to prepare & effortlessly sumptuous
Poha, a signature breakfast option and a popular street food item in Madhya Pradesh comes as a healthy choice to begin your mornings with. When travelling in the Heart of India, you will see almost every roadside eatery selling this much loved snack. In fact, for Poha lovers in MP, breakfast is incomplete if they do not binge on a plate full of Poha!
It is this love for this breakfast option that Poha is not just popular at roadside eateries but it equally acquires a special place in every household.
It comes as a ready answer to many questions like what to cook for breakfast? Poha. Running short of time? Poha. No availability of luxury ingredients? Let's cook Poha. Looking out for something healthy? Poha.
Well! This snack is not only delicious and light on stomach but most important, it can be easily prepared with everyday ingredients at home.
In fact, many families tend to have Poha at least three or four times a week for breakfast. Yes, that's the amount of love that comes with this healthy and tempting food item within the families too.
It is one of those dishes which comes with many variations and depends on what you wish to include to make it a wholesome breakfast option. Read on to know the recipe. Further you may improvise it as per the available ingredients and availability of time.
Ingredients required for making Poha:
2 cups thick Poha (rice flakes)
1 medium Onion, finely chopped (approx. 1/3 cup)
1 small Potato, peeled and finely chopped (approx. ½ cup)
1/3 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
8-10 Curry Leaves
1 Green Chili, finely chopped
1½ tablespoon Peanuts (ground nuts)
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1½ teaspoons Lemon Juice
1/2 tablespoon Sugar
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons Oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves
How to cook Poha:
1- Take up medium to thick flakes (Poha) and put in a strainer to wash. Rinse properly and keep the strainer aside to let the flakes soften.
2. After a few minutes press the flakes in between your thumb and finger to test its softness and that it breaks easily.
3. Heat a pan and pour oil and fry the peanuts on a medium heat until it turns golden and crunchy.
4. Remove the peanuts in a plate and set aside.
5. To the same pan, now add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they begin to pop add Hing, onion, curry leaves and green chillies.
6. Saute until the onion turns slightly pink. If you wish you may also add Potato cubes. Now saute well.
7. Add turmeric and Poha to the pan, salt and sugar to taste and then mix well and cover the pan.
8. Cook on a very low heat until it turns hot. Turn off the heat.
9. Garnish Poha with coriander leaves and roasted peanuts. You may also top it with Sev or fresh grated coconut.
Poha is all ready to get into your belly!